Thursday, October 30, 2008

OLD PICTURES





I have a couple of old pictures I wanted to show, mostly because of where they came from.This one came out of the trash. It has a pretty wood frame with a gold trim. My husband worked for the city trash department about 40 or more years ago and one night he brought this home. It has hung in my kitchen or dining room all these years just because I like it, and who knows may be worth a few dollars.



This one came from a yard sale 10 or 12 years ago. I bought it for $15.00 just because I liked it. The Lady told me that this picture hung on the walls of the Kanawha County Poor Farm in Dunbar WV. Her mother had worked there when the Poor Farm closed. From what I could find out the Poor Farm closed sometime in the 30"s, when the government started social security. The lady had probably 8 or 10 more pictures ,but I didn't have any more money so I just got the one.




4 comments:

Janet, said...

I like your pictures, especially the 2nd one. I remember when growing up Mom and Dad would jokingly say something about going to the poor house. At the time I didn't realize that there used to actually be poor houses, I just thought it was a saying 'that you were going to go to the poor house.'

Kathy said...

It is amazing what you can find in the trash. Nice pictures.

Shirley said...

Hey Vera,
I like that post. Very interesting and I like the pictures. I'm like Janet, I didn't know there was really a poor house.

Deborah Wilson said...

I didn't know there were really poor houses either - maybe that was the depression era's name for what we now call 'shelters'?

Old picture frames are a prize if they are in good shape. I bought one for my Mom about a decade ago, it cost $80 - but I've seen some in antique stores that price for much more.

This is a good blog, I'll be back later tonight to read some more..:)